Project Management Tools are online applications that enable your team to work on and manage projects remotely. PM tools provide features for creating tasks, assigning them to team members as well as monitoring their overall progress. Teams can easily share documents and have discussions via the platform, generate reports and charts and assess the overall status of the project. Tasks can be timed ensuring they are completed within given deadlines.
Project Management tools have become more relevant and highly useful during the current global lockdown for COVID-19.
In this post, we have enlisted some of the most popular project management tools in the market today.
Zoho suite comprises business applications such as desktop publishing, spreadsheets and word processing. Zoho Projects present in the suite is an online collaboration tool capable of managing multiple projects simultaneously.
- File Sharing.
- A project stream to show recent activities being conducted on a project.
- Project Chat rooms that enable quick creation of chats and invitation of participants with no limit to the number of participants.
- Scheduled team events such as meetings. Additional features such as auto-scheduling provide convenience for recurrent events. Reminders ensure team members are kept updated.
- Event comments. These could be minutes of a meeting or a brief overview of an event.
- Text, Audio, and Video calls, via Zoho Cliq integration.
- Available via the web for desktops, iPhone and Android apps for mobile.
Zoho Cliq, specialized in video and audio conferencing, is also present in the application package. Both Zoho Projects and Cliq can work in tandem to offer a great online collaboration experience for the user.
- Standard: $3/user/month (6 to 10 users,10 projects, 5 GB of file storage)
- Express: $4/user/month (12 to 50 users, unlimited projects, 20GB)
- Premium: $5/user/month (20 to 100 users, unlimited projects, File storage 100 GB)
- Enterprise: $6/user/month (25 users and above, unlimited projects, 120GB of file storage)
Trello is considered a high-end project management tool with great collaboration features. with a simple design workflow, it offers an easy to use and flexible project management interface that works for almost any industry.
- Projects, files or tasks are organized in the form of cards. Any information that needs to be made publicly available.
- It provides an automation tool known as Butler. The too provides rule-based triggers and due date commands.
- Integration with external software that your team may already be relying on such as Slack and Google Drive.
- Provides Applications for both Android and iPhone devices.
The biggest advantage of Trello is its superb flexibility in terms of 3rd-party integration and big fraternity of technical partners.
- Basic: $0/user/month (Unlimited Cards, Unlimited Boards, Unlimited Lists and 10MB attachments, 10 Team boards)
- Business Class: $9.99/user/month (250MB per file attachment, priority support, unlimited team boards, board collections)
- Enterprise: $20.83/user/month for 20 users (additional administrative controlling features)
Asana, a Cloud-based tool with a minimalistic card-based UI that helps teams keep track of projects.
- Creation of teams with members as followers and also the ability to invite guests.
- Integration capability with software such as Dropbox, Gmail plug-in to turn emails into tasks.
- Projects are organized as lists and tasks as well as sub-tasks can be managed by task assignees.
- Due-times and Due-dates help to ensure that tasks are completed within the given timelines.
- The capability of adding attachments in the form of files and other documents.
- Automation through the use of rules to perform operations such as the automatic creation of tasks.
- Administrative controls that enable delegation of project management.
- Basic: Free (for individuals or teams getting started. Collaborate with up to 15 teammates, Assignees and due dates, Calendar/Board/List View, Tasks)
- Premium: $10.99/user/month billed annually (enables tracking of team projects with features like Timeline, Advanced search, Custom fields, Unlimited Guests and Milestones)
- Business: $24.99/user/month billed monthly (For teams and companies that need to manage work across initiatives; includes Portfolios, Workload, Custom rules builder, Approvals, Advanced integrations with Salesforce, Adobe Creative Cloud among other software)
- Enterprise: Customized (additional security, control and support,SAML, user provisioning and de-provisioning (SCIM), Block native integrations, Custom branding)
A Project Management tool tailored towards the management of software projects as well as enabling teams to seamlessly collaborate on them. In fact, Jira is considered one of the top project management tools available in the market today for the IT industry.
- The Jira Scheme consists of preconfigured settings for features such as Screens, Issue types, Permissions, Notifications and many more.
- Bug and issue tracking tools for mobile and web software projects.
- Issues are tracked with the Jira issue.
- Components break down projects into categories. Components assignees are added when components are created.
- Projects are categorized into screens for ease of access.
- Issue attributes provide details about issues such as progress via statuses, resolutions, and priorities.
- Jira also provides administrative feature Audit log, Issue linking, and mail
- Free (Up to 10 users, Backlog, Agile reporting, Customizable workflow)
- Standard: $7 (Up to 5000 Users, Advanced permissions, Scrum and Kanban boards)
- Premium: $14 (Up to 5000 Users, Advanced permissions, Scrum and Kanban boards, advanced roadmaps inclusive of free)
Basecamp provides excellent collaboration as well as project management tools. Basecamp aims to reduce the number of integration and plugins needed to get the work done; instead, it provides all the necessary tools to do the job. It is an excellent tool for online marketing, digital media, product management and similar businesses.
- To-do Lists contain a list of projects or activities to be accomplished and can be assigned directly to individuals or teams.
- Message Boards reduce disorganized text threads by keeping conversations about a topic on a single page.
- Schedules show due dates on To-dos and events.
- Documents and file storage enables file sharing.
- Campfires which are Real-time group chat capabilities facilitate communication.
- Client Access for direct communication with clients and teams.
- Hill Charts that help visualize the progress of the project.
- As well as Direct Messaging, Reports, and Notifications.
Pricing: $99/month flat fee (Unlimited Projects, Unlimited Users, Unlimited access to all features and no per-user fees, 500 GB of Storage, Team Projects, Unlimited Clients and Priority support)
Scoro aims to provide an all-in-one project management solution. Apart from project management, it provides features such as financial management, CRM, quoting, reporting along with a sleek dashboard.
- Managing a project by setting project status whether complete or pending.
- The Scoro planner enables scheduling tasks and meetings.
- Setting up project budgets and track resource use in real-time.
- Scheduling of tasks can be viewed on a shared team calendar.
- Individuals can manage their task lists in order of priority.
- Time spent on a project or client can be timed to enable them to be easily billed.
- Tasks are added automatically to team members’ work reports.
- Late and automatic invoice reminders.
- Tracking of purchases and costs.
- Helps Identify key performance indicators with reporting and dashboards.
Pricing: Starts from $26/user/month
Podio, besides offering a project management platform, offers a rich collection of collaboration tools. It is highly customizable and offers APIs for developers along with extensions to integrate with other matching applications.
- Workspaces enable the creation and management of projects. They can be open- for everyone, private- for invited members or employee based workspaces.
- Activity streams help team members keep track of ongoing activities in real-time.
- The streams include features like status posts, Likes, comments, chats, Instant Messaging, and Video as well as audio calls.
- GO TO MEETING integration helps for the creation and management of meetings.
- Podio tasks enable task management by breaking down tasks into to-dos.
- File sharing is not designated to a single section for files that could be shared from anywhere such as status posts.
- Personal and Workspace calendars can be customized to suit an individual’s schedule.
- Email extensions.
Pricing: Freemium (Basic plan is free; top plan is $24/Month)
Teamwork Projects is yet another project management application with superior collaboration tools. During the ongoing COVID-19 situation, Teamwork Projects is being offered free for schools.
- Project templates enable quick initiation of projects by using previous project formats.
- The workload manager enables you to view the distribution of work for each member.
- A Capacity displays the actual workload a given member has in his/her queue.
- The teamwork timer app enables the timing of billable and non-billable projects.
- Boards are tools that also help in visualizing the progress of a project.
- The message function helps to communicate and group your messages.
- Portfolios enable quick planning for your timeline.
- Calendar helps to take snapshot views of important upcoming milestones, events, and tasks.
- Files and versioning help keep all your important files in one place.
- Free: 2 Projects, Max 5 users, Limited Board View, Subtasks, Color Themes, and Time tracking.
- Pro: $9/user/month (Min 5 users, 300 Projects, Board View Triggers, Task List Templates, 20 Project Templates, Instant file editing, Webhooks, Gantt chart, Dashboards, Unlimited free collaborators and Teams)
- Premium: $15/user/month (Everything in Pro including 600 Projects Workload, Portfolio, Change history, Premium, integrations, 2FA, Custom domain with SSL, 50 Project templates, Burndown reporting)
- Enterprise: Customized (everything in Premium plus: Unlimited Projects, SSO, Priority Support, Customer Success, Manager, Enterprise Specific API, Enterprise Dashboard Panels, Enterprise-Class Security, HIPAA, and Password Policies)
Plutio is a full-fledged collaboration and project management tool integrated with a CRM along with a rich set of features.
- Project templates aid quick creation and reuse of projects. Add Information on projects by creating custom fields.
- Conversations with teams or individuals involved in a project.
- Set start and end dates for projects.
- Each project has a progress indicator that updates in real-time.
- Visualize your projects as lists of cards.
- Integrations with a public API and Google calendar.
- Connect to multiple payment methods such as Stripe and PayPal.
- Create and manage recurring billing and invoices.
- Multiple workspaces.
- Both desktop and mobile apps for major platforms.
- Control privileges using roles and permissions.
Pricing: $15/month | $20/month | $30/month
A project management tool that currently offers COVID-19 Business Continuity Template which is a strategic roadmap for maintaining operations during this changing time. It allows you to see at-risk projects, helps you track employee availability, and makes communication simple.
- Dashboards enable easy access and viewing of projects.
- Projects are created as requests and assigned to project managers.
- The workflow view helps to monitor the progress of team members and determine which members may be overloaded.
- Templates help to create project plans and auto-assign teams based on previous projects.
- Tasks are created via a table view and they can be assigned to specific team members. They specify the due date too.
- The timeline view visualizes all the tasks for a given project from their start date to the end date of the final project.
- The live editor enables real-time chat.
- Files can easily be attached to tasks.
- Basic plan is free
- Professional: $9.80 (at present, available for $0/user/month with 6-months trial)
- Business: $24.80/user/month.
- Enterprise: Custom plan.